ORBERA® Managed Weight Loss Program in Palm Beach Gardens
The Orbera Managed Weight Loss Program is a unique and effective non-surgical weight loss program. The Orbera Balloon Procedure is an exciting alternative for individuals who do not want to (or are not able to) undergo surgery. This procedure is ideal for the patient seeking assistance to achieve initial weight loss and who can commit to the required lifestyle changes long term. The Intragastric balloon is a temporary tool intended to help limit portion sizes. The Gastric balloon will not affect nutrient absorption or physically alter the digestive tract. Orbera works by occupying space in a patient’s stomach and limiting available volume.
Reasons for considering a Managed Weight Loss Program
- Proven Weight Loss results
- It is Non-Surgical (No Incisions) and it is a short outpatient procedure.
- Will offer you an improvement in your Quality of Life
- It is a Non-Permanent Procedure that kick starts Weight Loss
- We offer Nutritional Counseling and Support
Are you a good candidate for an Intragastric balloon procedure in Palm Beach Gardens?
Have you been dieting for years without success? Do you have a weight loss goal that always seems out of reach? The Intragastric Balloon procedure may be the right fit for you. You may be a good candidate if:
- You are in reasonably good health
- You have been dieting for years without success
- You have a weight loss goal that always seems out of reach
- You have 20-60 pounds to lose and have struggled to get back to your ideal body weight
- You understand that a gastric balloon is a temporary tool intended to help limit portion sizes
- You are ready to commit to participate in dietary counseling and a behavior modification program in order to achieve lasting results. Patients who are not able to follow dietary restrictions or commit to come for follow up appointments would not be good candidates for Orbera gastric balloon device.
- You have not already had a bariatric surgery or a history of any inflammatory disease of the gastrointestinal tract, potential upper gastrointestinal bleeding or other congenital anomalies, large hiatal hernia or other structural abnormality in the esophagus or larynx.
- You do not smoke. If you are a smoker, you are strongly encouraged to refrain from smoking for at least a week prior to your surgery date and continue to refrain from smoking for two weeks or until your incisions have healed.
How is the surgery performed?
The procedure involves the insertion of a deflated silicone balloon endoscopically which is then filled with sterile saline solution through a self-sealing valve once it enters the stomach. The procedure takes about 20 minutes in our surgical suite and can be carried out under a light anesthesia. You will be able to go home after just a few hours following your procedure. The gastric balloon has the effect of making you feel less hungry and feel fuller quicker and for longer when you do eat. The Orbera balloon must be removed after 6 months, after which time our dietary support will help you maintain a more controlled diet and, therefore, maintain the weight loss. The balloon is removed in the same manner it was inserted. It is deflated first and removed via the endoscope.
Where is the surgery performed?
The surgery is performed in Estetica Institute’s accredited surgical center, in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Our surgeries are performed at our state of the art surgical Operating Rooms by a highly trained staff of professionals who all maintain the highest credentials. Our facility is accredited by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF).
How long does the surgery take?
Typically, the procedure takes about 20 minutes. The patient will recover for about a half-hour after the procedure and then may go home.
Can I drive myself home?
You cannot drive yourself home after the surgery. We suggest that you arrange for a ride home with a friend or relative. We are happy to help you arrange for a ride and some overnight help if necessary.
What happens after surgery? What is the recovery process?
Thankfully, there are extremely few complications seen with the Orbera balloon. Most patients will typically experience some nausea and/or vomiting in the first 12-48 hours. Patients are given medication to help alleviate such symptoms and should subside within a few days. For the first few weeks following the procedure you will have dietary restrictions as your body accommodates to the inserted balloon. Our dietician will work closely with you to ensure you are comfortable with and understand the changes in diet and lifestyle that are necessary to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
Patients are required to attend medical check-up visits in the first 6 months to ensure the balloon placement is comfortable and everything is proceeding according to plan. In addition, a number of scheduled support consultations are in place for patients to speak with the dietician and exercise physiologist. It is essential that the balloon is removed at 6 months to avoid any complications associated with rupturing if left in the stomach.
What are the Results?
It is normal to expect between 20-50 lb of weight loss over the first 6 months. In addition, it is equally important that sustainable lifestyle changes are in place to support ongoing maintenance of this initial weight loss. Your support team will continue to advise you and support you on your journey for another 6 months post removal of the balloon.